Reconstruction Works To Conclude By Mid-July

The reconstruction work that began after the 2015 earthquake has reached its final stages with the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA) planning to complete it by mid-July this year.
Speaking at a press conference organised to mark the sixth memorial day of the April 25 earthquake on Friday, NRA chief executive Sushil Gyawali informed that the authority would work only till July and after that the remaining reconstruction tasks would be done by the relevant bodies.
The NRA, established in the aftermath of the 2015 earthquake to carry out rebuilding, has the mandate to work only till January 14, 2022.
According to the authority, construction and renovation of private houses, schools, health institutions, government buildings, security agencies’ buildings, religious sites, drinking water facilities and roads in 32 affected districts is almost complete.

93% private houses reconstructed
As per the information provided by the NRA at the press conference, 93 per cent of the eligible quake-damaged houses have been reconstructed. Out of 811,754 beneficiaries who signed the agreements for their private housing reconstruction grant, houses of 753,104 have been rebuilt and some more are in the process of rebuilding.
288 heritages rebuilt
Of the 920 heritages damaged, 493 have been rebuilt and work is going on on a further 288.
In the capital, the Ranipokhari and Dharahara have been reconstructed. Work on the world heritage sites of Hanumandhoka, Patan and Bhaktapur durbar squares is nearly complete. Kasthamandap in Basantapur is being reconstructed too. Out of 402 monasteries that need to be repaired, work on 294 has been completed, informed Gyawali.
Among the government buildings, Kaiser Mahal, Babar Mahal, Bal Mandir, the Ranodip Palace on the Narayanhiti Museum premises and other palaces of archaeological importance are being renovated.

Reconstruction commendable
Nearly 83 per cent of the tota 7,553 damaged schools have been reconstructed and the remaining 17 per cent are expected to be
completed before the end of the current fiscal year. The work carried out in Nepal is considered the largest reconstruction campaign implemented in any country in South Asia.
Gyawali informed that various nations and donor bodies supported the NRA in its reconstruction effort.
“Of the Rs. 294 billion pledged by various parties, the NRA was able to secure Rs. 243 billion,” he added.