Rose Price Surges With Approach Of Valentine’s Week

Sales of rose has soared at several flower shops of the Kathmandu Valley, as the Valentine’s Week began from Monday with the Rose Day.
Flower traders of the country have said they are importing rose stems worth Rs. 20 million for the Valentine’s Day this year. The country will buy 230,000 stems of roses for the celebration.

Before the Valentine’s Day, there is a practice of marking the seven days of the whole week with different names – Rose Day, Propose Day, Chocolate Day, Teddy Day, Promise Day, Hug Day and Kiss Day.
The demand for and import of rose is higher ahead of Valentine’s Day than at other times. The demand for rose has increased this year compared to last year. With the increased demand of roses, the Floriculture Association Nepal (FAN) is importing 230,000 stems for this year’s Valentine’s Day, said Min Bahadur Tamang, president of FAN.

Of the total demand of rose, 90 per cent roses will be imported from Delhi of India; the domestic produce meets only 10 per cent of the demand. However, domestic production met 20 per cent in last year’s Valentine’s Day, he said.
“Domestic production of rose has decreased this year due to the impact of lockdown. For two years, flower traders have not invested any money in floriculture due the uncertainty of market.

Government has not put floriculture business under essential business so plants of rose were damaged in lack of proper care. As a result, there was decline in domestic production, he added.
He further said, “Domestic production will meet only 10 per cent of the demand during this year’s Valentine’s Week and remaining 90 per cent is imported from India.”

The demand for roses is high especially in the Kathamndu Valley. It will consume around 60 per cent of the rose stems on the day. Remaining 40 per cent will be absorbed by Pokhara, Chitwan, Hetauda, Sunsari, Morang and other cities, he said.

According to FAN, it will import more roses for this year than last year due to higher demand. “Last year 180,000 stems of roses worth Rs. 18 million were imported,” said Tamang.
The per stick price of rose in the market ranges between Rs. 70 to Rs. 100.

Source : TRN,