Suspect held for raping and murdering six-year-old in Bardibas was earlier arrested and released on bail for killing friend

FILE PHOTO: Activists protest against rape at Maitighar Mandala. Image: Nepalese Voice

Local Sahid Alam’s six-year-old daughter was raped and subsequently murdered, her body recovered inside a sack near her house on Monday night in Bardibas of Mahottari district. The child had gone missing since Sunday evening after she went to buy chocolate from a nearby shop.

Police have arrested 25-year-old Arun Kumar Sah of Gaushala Municipality for his involvement in the case. Sah has admitted that he raped and killed the minor.

Sah, while intoxicated, is said to have confessed to the crime with his parents. Following which, Sah’s family registered a complaint with the police.

In the meantime, a young man was shot dead by police during a protest rally in Bardibas held on Tuesday after the six-year-old girl’s dead body was found.

The deceased has been identified as Buddhiraj Neupane (Sanjay) of Bardibas-1 and he succumbed to the bullet injury on Tuesday night while undergoing treatment at Grande Hospital in Kathmandu.

Local residents had kept the minor’s body at Bardibas Chowk and staged the protest from early Tuesday morning.

According to Province Police Office, police had to open fire on protestors after multiple attempts of Nepal Police and Armed Police Force personnel to clear the road turned futile.

Irate locals had vandalised Sah’s house, set it ablaze, and blocked the fire engine from reaching the house.

Meanwhile, Sah was earlier accused of murdering his friend but was released on Rs 100,000 bail at the order of Judge Suman Kumar Neupane, who has now been transferred elsewhere from Mahottari.

Sah had allegedly killed Dilip Thakur after a drunken brawn last May/June. Thakur died on the spot after being hit on the head with a stick. On the run Sah was later arrested in Dhanusha. He had admitted to the crime in a statement to police.

Though police had gathered enough evidence against Sah in the case and sought life imprisonment, Judge Neupane issued a controversial order to release him on bail. A few months later Sah killed the six-year-old girl.